Posted by Katie smith / 2/09/2016 / 1 Comment / deco art , tutorial , valentines , walnut hollow
DIY Geometric Heart Wooden Box
I've got another fun Valentine project for you guys today. I created this heart box for DecoArt, and I know you guys are going to love it!
I shared this trick a couple of years ago, making faux 3D hearts and so I did it again, only this time I used paint to create an optical illusion 3D heart on top of this box. If you look at it straight from the top, it looks 3D! But it's actually just painted on.
Here's how you can make this little box to hold your favorite photos of loved ones:
- Medium Wooden Box (I used one a recipe box by Walnut Hollow)
- Gloss Decou-Page
- Americana® Multi-Surface Acrylics in
- Black Tie
- Cotton Ball
- Gold (Metallic)
- Pink Tropics
- Glamour Dust™ Sprinkle-On Glitter Gold
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- transfer paper
Here is my heart pattern. Just right click the picture to save it and print it out.
1. Print off and cut out the heart pattern. Using a pencil and the transfer paper, transfer the heart onto the top of the box.
2. Use a 1" flat brush and Gold (Metallic) to paint the box. (Leave the heart and lid edge unpainted.)
3. Use a #4 round brush and Pink Tropics to paint the inside of the heart as well as the sides of the lid.
4. Create five mixes: (1) part Pink Tropics with (2) parts Cotton Ball; (1) part Pink Tropics with (1) part Cotton Ball; (1) part Pink Tropics with (1) part Black Tie; (1) part Pink Tropics with (2) parts Black Tie; and (1) part Pink Tropics with (3) parts Black Tie.
5. Paint in the heart with a #4 round brush. Paint the lightest color mix onto the left side of the heart. Paint the darker mixes onto the right side. (Refer to the final photo for color placement.)
6. Being careful to stay outside of the heart, brush the lid with Americana Gloss Decou-Page and sprinkle Gold Glamour Dust on top while it is still wet.
7. Brush off any excess glitter and apply another coat of Decou-Page on top of the Glamour Dust for extra hold.
8. Open the box and paint the inside edges with Pink Tropics.
9. Print photos at 3" x 5" (or the appropriate size for the box). Mat them with pink cardstock paper and add washi tape tabs.
10. Place the photos inside of the box.
There you have it! I'm so pleased with how this little box came out, and I love how it holds special pictures!
What color would you paint the heart? You're not limited to just pink!