Posted by Katie smith / 11/08/2015 / No comments / Christmas , tutorial
Handmade Holidays Blog Hop 2015
Welcome to the 5th Annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop! Have you ever been looking around for handmade gift ideas and just not seeing any you really love? Enter the Handmade Holidays hop!
This hop features a large number of creative blogger friends in the craft industry as well as some of our fellow product manufacturers to bring you a plethora of inspiring gift ideas you can make now to give to your friends, family, and colleagues.
I will definitely be going through all of the blog hop projects and pinning them to my gift idea board, so that I have these ideas ready throughout the year whenever I need a gift!
My sponsors for this hop were Tombow, Walnut Hollow and DecoArt. The 3 companies products combined so well to make this project come together.
This gift is for the tea or coffee lovers!
I am a tea junkie, and I know a few of my friends are too and think any of them would love getting a handmade tea set! It includes custom made tea cups, a painted crate full of my favorite tea flavors, and a lettered mason jar for loose leaf tea!
You could definitely customize this for coffee as well! Try filling the wooden crate with K-Cup pods!
- White Ceramic Cups
- White Tissue Paper
- Tombow Dual Brush Pens
- Tombow Mono Twin Permanent Marker
- Tombow Xtreme Adhesive
- DecoArt Dishwasher Safe Decoupage
- Foam Brush
- Walnut Hollow Mini Crate
- Walnut Hollow Tray Square
- Mason Jar
- White Cardstock
- Black Acrylic Paint
- Paper Ribbon
How to make the Custom Mugs:
1. Start by measuring the space on your mug in between the handle. That's where the tissue paper will go. Cut out a strip of tissue paper that width + long enough to wrap around your mug.
2. Use the Mono Twin Permanent Marker to draw your design out onto the tissue paper strips. You could also use some stamps if you don't want to doodle, but be sure to use a permanent ink.
3. Use the Dual Brush Pens to color in your design. These markers are water based and they blend really nicely.
4. Use a foam brush to apply the dishwasher safe decoupage medium onto the cup where your tissue paper will go.
5. Wrap your tissue paper around your cup and brush over top with the decoupage as well.
You'll want to add 2-3 coats of the dishwasher safe decoupage to fully seal it, however you need to let it cure for atleast an hour in between coats.
For the Loose Leaf Tea Jar:
1. Use the lid of your mason jar to trace a circle onto a piece of white cardstock. Cut it out, and feel free to customize it. I doodled a black circle around using the Mono Twin Permanent Marker.
2. Use the Dual Brush Pens to hand letter a custom label for your loose leaf tea. Since I put orange spice tea in the jar, I naturally used the orange dual brush pen.
As I said earlier, the pens blend nicely, so I also used the red pen to add some shadows to my letters.
3. Use some strong adhesive (I highly recommend Tombow's Xtreme Adhesive Runner) to adhere your cardstock circle onto the lid.
4. I also wanted to seal this, incase it ever got wet, so I added a coat of DecoArt's dishwasher safe decoupage.
To create the tea crate:
I liked the natural look of the wooden crates, so I didn't want to embellish them too much. I used black acrylic paint to give the top edges of both the crate and the square tray for a bold look.
Pick out your favorite tea bags and add them into the crate!
I used a bit of paper ribbon to wrap around the handles of the crate and tray as well as wrapping it around the mason jar to add a bit more flair.
I want to give a huge thank you to the blog hop sponsors-
We are having a giveaway of over $600 in craft supplies to help you make this holiday handmade. Enter to win using the widget below:
For lots more creative handmade gift ideas and projects, Follow along on our blog hop! Simply click on each of the links below to be taken to that post with additional information and photos on how to create a handmade gift project.
Want a gift for the geek in your life? Checkout the project I made for last years Handmade Holiday hop!