Posted by Katie smith / 11/04/2015 / No comments / deco art , tutorial , walnut hollow
DIY EASY Chalkboard Mini Crates - A Great Gift Idea
Hey guys, today I wanted to show you how I created these chalkboard crates that make the most PERFECT gift for friends and family!
To make these, I used some Mini Crates by Walnut Hollow Rustic Pallet collection. Walnut Hollow products can help you create unique handmade gifts for the holidays, or anytime really.
I will definitely be giving these to my friends, family, and probably my neighbors too, because they are so so easy and not to mention cute. Chalkboards are super trendy and I love writing and doodling on them.
- Mini Crates by Walnut Hollow
- 1" Foam Brush
- Chalkboard Paint by DecoArt
- Clear Chalkboard Coating by DecoArt
- Deacoupage by DecoArt
- Black Acrylic Paint by DecoArt
- Pass the Tissue Papers by Hazel and Ruby
- Cookies (optional)
1. Paint the outside of your mini crates with chalkboard paint. You will want to paint the first coat horizontally. I recommend using a foam brush and it smooths it out nicely.
Let dry 1 hour between coats and paint on the second coat vertically.
2. I also painted the inside of my crate black, I liked the finished look of the completely painted mini crate. I used black acrylic paint on the inside of the crate, as you do not need chalkboard paint on the inside, right?
Once the paint was dry, I cut a piece of patterned tissue paper the same size as the bottom of the crate and deacoupaged it into the bottom.
Let dry completely.
Another fun way to create these chalkboard mini crates is to use clear chalkboard coating. It allows you to decorate the crates with papers, colored paints or other medias and still use them as a chalkboard!
I decorated two of the Walnut Hollow mini crates with patterned papers, and then brushed over them with the chalkboard coating. Just like the black chalkboard paint, you need two coats, one horizontal and one vertical, letting it dry for an hour between coats.
Let the chalkboard paint cure for 24 hours before writing on it!
Once you're all finished, write or doodle on your mini crates, fill them with cookies or treats and give them to your friends!
What do you think? Are these something you would give to a friend? What type of cookie would you fill them with?
*This is a sponsored post by Walnut Hollow. I was compensated for this tutorial, but all opinions are my own.