Posted by Katie smith / 1/19/2012 / 5 Comments / crafting , tutorial
National Popcorn Day + Softie Tutorial
Did you guys know that today is National Popcorn day? I l-o-v-e popcorn! It's like the perfect snack.
Anyway, In honor of popcorn day, I made this little pop corn softie/plushie! Isn't he the cutest?
Here's how to make your own!
Supplies: Red, White, and Yellow Felt, 2 Black Buttons, Cotton Stuffing, Hot Glue Gun (optional) Sewing Machine or Needle and Thread.
1. On my pattern, you sill see a front piece and a side piece. cut 2 of each of these out of red felt. There will also be an oval shape-Cut that out of yellow felt. Also cut six 5"x1" strips of white felt.
Sew the white strips to the red felt, 2 on the front and back pieces, and 1 on the sides.
2. Pin the yellow oval onto the front piece of your popcorn bucket. Sew around the edge.
Also sew on the 2 buttons for eyes, and embroider a mouth.
3. Place a side piece on top of the front piece(right side down), lining up the right edge. Sew them together than fold the side piece over.
Place the back piece on top of the side piece, lining up the right edge. Sew them together. Repeat with the next side piece.
Now that you have all of your pieces sewn together, fold the left edge over to the right. Pin and sew.
You should now have a popcorn bucket without the bottom, so lets make the bottom piece!
4. Stand your bucket up onto a piece of red felt and measure of big the bottom needs to be. With your bucket inside out, pin the bottom piece to the bucket. Stitch them together. This is easiest with a needle and thread, but it is possible to do it with the sewing machine. (I know, because I did it. haha)
5. Flip right side out and cut a small piece of cardboard to fit in the bottom of your popcorn bucket. stick it down in the bottom.
6. Wrap a sheet of yellow felt around a big wad of cotton., sew or glue it inside of your popcorn bucket.
Now for the popcorn!
7. cut 2-3" circles from yellow felt. Taking one, place a small wad of cotton inside and gather the felt around it. You can either use glue to secure the felt, or hand sew it.
Sew (or glue) to the top of your popcorn bucket. Repeat until you cover the whole top of your popcorn bucket!
Voila! I know it looks yummy, but please, don't eat the little popcorn guy! Now go microwave yourself a bag of popcorn. (I'm going to!!)