Posted by Katie smith / 10/05/2016 / No comments / featured , pirouline , tutorial
DIY Trick or Treat Tins from Recycled Cookie Tins
There are only a few weeks until Halloween, it's creeping right up! Today I have a really festive project to share- Trick or Treat Tins!
I think it would be fun to make these with kids, but it does involve hot glue and an awl, so you could make one for them and let them enjoy it later!
- Empty Pirouline Cookie Tins
- Craft Felt
- Hot Glue
- 12 Gauge Craft Wire
- Card Board
I'm going to show you how to make both a candy corn tin, and a bat tin.
First up: Candy Corn!
1. Cut out strips of felt 2.5" wide, and long enough to wrap around the tin. You want one from each color- orange, white, and yellow.
2. Use hot glue to adhere the felt strips around the felt. You want yellow on the bottom, orange in the middle and white on top.
3. Use an awl to poke 2 holes, opposite of each other on the top sides of the tin, about 1/2" from the top.
4. Cut a 15" piece of craft wire and twist each end through the holes you stabbed in the tin to make a handle.
5. Cut a 3"x4" strip of felt and use hot glue to adhere it around the top of the handle as a soft grip.
6. Cut a face from felt and adhere it to the front of the tin.
How to make the Bat Tin:
Batty is made the same way as the candy corn! The main difference is using one piece of felt rather than strips, and adding wings, which I'll show you how to do.
1. Use hot glue to adhere a piece of black felt around the tin.
2. Add a face and ears.
3. For the wings- you can either free hand some bat wing shapes, or download my printable pattern to trace here.
Cut out 2 bat wings from cardboard.
4. Use hot glue to cover both sides of the cardboard wings with black felt.
5. Use scissors to trip away any extra felt, so that you have 2 black bat wings.
6. Using hot glue, adhere the wings onto either side of the tin. Do this by squirting a line of glue onto the end of the wing, and holding it in place on the tin for 30 seconds for it to dry.
Easy peasy, right? Now I want to go trick or treating so that I can use this bat tin to collect all the Reeses Pumpkins in!
I also have a really fun (and related) story to tell you guys- a few weeks ago, during the middle of the night, I woke up and saw a shadow flying around my ceiling. What a way to wake up, right? So I grabbed my phone to shine a flashlight on it and it was a bat, flying in circles around my room. omg. I have no idea how he got inside, but thankfully we caught him and took him out.
I think bats can be so cute, but I don't want them in my room at night. Creepy!
What are you/your kids dressing up as for Halloween?