Posted by Katie smith / 4/01/2012 / 2 Comments / go green , tutorial
Recycled Blue Jeans Garden Cushion DIY
Here it is, The first GO GREEN project for April here on Punk Projects! In case you haven't heard, I am going to be posting a lot of eco friendly tutorials and inspiration between now and Earth day, (April 22nd.) and I will also be having a lot of amazing guest bloggers.
Do any of you guys have gardens? It's beautiful outside, which means lots of yummy veggies.
We live in an apt. so we don't have a big garden , but we have a plot in the community garden that we have plants in. What are you favorite veggies? I love cucumbers.
Anyway, Our raised garden is surrounded by mulch, which is super uncomfortable to sit on. So, I made this cute, squishy garden cushion that I can take with me to sit on and pull weeds, harvest veggies, etc.
Pillow Foam, Blue Jeans, Felt (optional.) Sewing Machine, Needle and Thread.
1. Cut the legs off your jeans, they are what you will be using.
Cut up the side seam of the pants leg, so that it lays flat.
Trim your jeans into TWO 20" x 15" pieces.
2. If you want to add some decorations to your cushion, now is the time to do it. I cut out a flower and some leaves from felt and stitched them on.
3. Lay your 2 pieces together, right sides together, and sew up 3 sides.
4. Flip your cushion right side out. (through the open side.)
5. Cut your foam to 13" x 18". Depending on the thickness of your pillow foam, you may want to cut 2 pieces and layer them to double the squishy-ness.
6. Slide your foam into your cushion.
7. For a handle, I cut a 10" piece of hem from my jeans, and slide the to ends in between my foam, pinning the opening shut.
8. Using a needle and thread, sew the opening shut, also sewing in your handle.
Voila! I managed to reuse my favorite jeans that sadly had a hole, and now I have a super comfy cushion to sit on while I garden.