Posted by Katie smith / 11/02/2011 / 3 Comments / tutorial
Journal of Gratitude -Thanksgiving Art Journal DIY
Want to make a journal for Thanksgiving? This is a very fun project, especially if you have never worked with muslin or soft canvas before! It gives the pages alot of texture. :)
Muslin fabric- ten 6" squares
Sharpies, colored pencils, etc
Embellishments (stickers, letters, etc)
Leaf Mask-Download here
1.Pair up squares of muslin together and sew around the edges, about a 1/4" seam, so that you have 5 double thickness squares for your journal.
2. Water down small amounts of acrylic paint, by using a 2 to 1 ration of water to paint.
3. Draw and cut out leaf masks, and coat the back with adhesive spray. Note: Make sure your work surface is covered or you will end up with sticky, gummy everything.
4. Temporarily adhere the leaves to some of the muslin canvas pages. Paint inside the masks with paint/water mixture. Mixing colors is nice.
5. Paint on, draw on, and design on your canvases, colored pencils work especially well, when the paint is wet or dry. Allow to air dry or use a hairdryer to speed things ups.
7. Use this as your own personal blessings journal or pass around to family members during the holidays. Here are a few easy journaling prompts to get you started.
At the end of the day,I'm most thankful for...
This year, I have been so fortunate...
Some blessings we often overlook are...
People in my life who I extend my gratitude towards are...