Posted by Katie smith / 1/21/2011 / 6 Comments / blog party , crafting , tutorial
Upcycled Pillowcase Dress DIY
Taylor and I have been making lots of pillowcase dresses to donate to Little Dresses for Africa. which, if you've never heard of, You should go check out the Little Dresses for Africa website and maybe make some cute dresses to send! I whipped up this tutorial on how to make a pillowcase dress, so enjoy!
Pillowcase, Elastic, Double Fold Bias Tape, any other embellishments you want!
1. Cut off the top seam. The bottom part of the pillow case will be the bottom of your dress because it already has a nice hem.
2. Fold the pillowcase in half, vertically, and at the top cut 2 arms holes. It is simple a "U" type shape, about 2" in, and 4" down.
Unfold, your pillwcase should look like this:
The front and back of the dress will be gathered with elastic, Here how to do that:
3.Iron down the top 2 edges about 3/8" to make a hem.
4. Stitch along the hems to make casings for the elastic; the casing should be like a tunnel.
5. Cut and Thread 6 inches of elastic through each casing and secure the ends with a safety pin temporarily. Stitch across the ends of each casing to hold the elastic in place. It will gather and form a neckline. Take out the saftey pins.
6. Turn the dress to the side so the armholes are open into a 'U' shape.
Cut two strips of double fold bias tape, About 36" long. . Beginning in the middle of the U shape with the middle of the bias tape, pin the tape to the dress. It should look like this before you begin to sew.
The ends of the bias tape are you straps, and should be long enough to tie around your shoulders.
7. Starting at the end of the bias tape, Sew down the edge.
Keep sewing around the arm hole, along the bias tape until you get to the other end. repeat with other arm.
Now add some embellishments! Some fun ideas are to applique cute designs onto the dress! I love embellishing them, I appliqued these cute little bears to a couple.
p.s. I would LOVE to see pictures of your pillowcase dress if you make one using this tutorial!